Wooden Sailboat Blog

“Welcome to my sailboat restoration blog.”

Removing the Keelson

Due to the intensive deterioration I decided to replace the keelson.

Removing Screws

Since the keelson is mounted from the bottom up we removed the filling material to access the bolts.

Tricky, tricky...

The combination of age, brass and left over filling did not make it very easy to remove the bolts. But with one person pushing the screw driver firmly against the head and with a second using a allen wrench to twist we got them all out in one piece.

Chisel Workout

Finally the ribs are out and the keelson can be chiseled out. Piece by piece I removed the old rotten keelson.

Finally gone...

So there it is. Quite many gaps that had to be epoxied but everything looks pretty clean underneath.